Saturday, April 11, 2015


HAIL TO FOUNDERS OF MOUNT HERMON SCHOOL

Estb. March 11, 1895, Darjeeling
After Mr. Murray passed away on April 7 (Tuesday) Hermonite Puii of Mizoram (India), now living in the USA, sent attachments of the special issue of HERMONITE magazine of 1978 in Facebook/Email.
In 1978 I was in my third year teaching in MH. It was Mr. Murray's last year in MH. He was its Principal after Late Rev. DG Stewart (died on Dec 12, 2014) left the school at the end of 1963. I was the editor of the 1978's annual edition of the Hermonite magazine which was dedicated to Mr. and Mrs. Murray's long service to MH. The magazine focused on the school's history. 
In the years that have gone by I noticed that Miss CJ Stahl's original photograph was missing among MH's Founders/Principals from the walls of our school lounge. It seemed strange that no one from the school took notice of this. I have also not come across her photo in Facebook/Google etc.
Therefore, I'm placing Miss Carolyn Josephine STAHL's original photo back in the public domain (Facebook and my blog:jigmenkazisikkim.blogspot.com, sikkimhermonite.blogspot.com). Miss Stahl's and photos of three other Founders of our school - Miss Knowles, Bishop Fisher and Rev Dewey - figure in my book - "Inside Sikkim: Against the Tide" (published in 1993) - and also in HERMONITES INTERNATIONAL Newsletter published by Sikkim Hermonites and edited by myself.

In 1978 I made special arrangements with Darjeeling's Das Studio to make copies of these historic photographs of our school's Founders/Principals. This effort for the school magazine seems worthwhile considering the fate of Miss Stahl's portrait. I'm placing the photographs in Facebook and my blogs with the hope that Hermonites all over the world will now have a record of our Founders/Principals. Also hoping that MH school authorities will take a note of this and do the needful.

No comments:

Post a Comment