Sunday, May 20, 2018


‘My father taught me how to fight and survive’
REMEBERING DAD ON HIS 20TH DEATH ANNIVERSARY
He was only 68 when he passed away on May 21, 1998, in Gangtok after a brief illness. It is now 20 years since he left us but all of us still have him close to our heart.
‘Lachen Yapla’, as he was popularly known, was the son of Rhenock Yap Tseten Tashi and Libing Chum Seden. Unfortunately, dad (Aba) did not have a stable childhood. He was separated from his father at a young age and sent to Yangang, south Sikkim, with his mother. The elders in the family thought it best to force the separation as both my Azyola (grandfather) and Anyola (grandmother) belonged to the Takarpa family of the Bonpo-Ngadik clan of the Sikkimese Bhutias.
Aba was studying at the Tashi Namgyal Academy (TNA) and living at the Libing House premises in Gangtok when at around the age of 17 he was married to the daughter (Chum Yangchen) of Lachen Pipon, Cho Ledon Nima Gyatso. In those days it took at least seven days to reach Lachen (north Sikkim) from Gangtok or Yangang.
My mom died when I was just 2-3 years. Dad  then got married to Amla’s younger sister, Chum Phigu. Later in 1960, when my Amchung (Chum Phigu), too, passed away my father got married to her cousin sister Chumzay, eldest daughter of the late Lachen Pipon, Cho Wangchuk Palden.
Altogether five sons and two daughters were born to the three wives. The eldest son, Tenzing Danen, died in 2011 during the tragic earthquake that struck north Sikkim. All of us were born and brought up in Lachen and though most of us live away from Lachen we still consider Lachen our home and ‘motherland’.
Just before he passed away Aba had a word with me: ‘Temiharo sab melay ra bosnu’ (you all live together in harmony). This was his final benediction.
Over the past six decades Lachen Yapla’s family has gone through a tough time. But our struggle has kept all of us together so far and I’m sure our descendants will, too, stay the course.
A former Sikkim chief minister once told me: “You are a great survivor”. I think I learnt this from my dad. We all miss him and remember him on this day, his 20th death anniversary. May he continue to enjoy the bliss that he so rightly deserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment